Blog #3

Hi again, this is blog #3! For the last couple days, I was able to explore another side, or even an extension of Taiwanese design through sustainability, traditional crafts, and everyday objects. The activities this week included visiting Home Work Sustainable Studio, the National Taiwan Craft Research Institute, and a bamboo weaving workshop. I was able to see how design can be both functional and beautiful while still considering the materials, people, and culture behind it.

One of my favorite visits this week was Home Work Sustainable Studio. Their work focused heavily on sustainability, complete zero waste. But what stood out to me was that sustainability wasn't the only thing they considered. They also focused on usability, cost, creating beautiful spaces (which was one of the biggest draw ins), and giving everything its own personality. I really appreciated this because sometimes sustainability can feel like it is treated as the main goal, while other aspects of design become secondary. The owner of the studio even mentioned that when marketing for sustainability, it doesn't sell nearly as well as when it is marketed as something else. At Home Work, these ideas felt like they worked together.

Everything about the space in the studio felt intentional. Nothing seemed like it was there just to fill an empty space. The materials, objects, and layouts all had a purpose, but the spaces still felt comfortable and personal. The photo below shows the collaboration/meeting space we used. The lighting was low and controlled, there were wood tones everywhere, and all seating was on the floor in a various assortment of chairs, cushions and beanbags. Although it was a basement; it might be the best basement I've been in. Designing something or some place, is for people to actually want to keep using. If something is functional, beautiful, and has personality, there is more of a reason for someone to hold onto it instead of eventually replacing it or throwing it away. 

And then the owner threw up a photo with himself, doodles all over it, and an invitation to a party to celebrate sustainability. He explained that sustainability is too serious. So the personality aspect truly stood out to me. 


Our visit to the National Taiwan Craft Research Institute continued this idea through smaller, everyday objects. We saw tableware, cups, tea sets, lamps, and many other pieces that were honestly things I would want in my own home. A lot of the pieces used wood, porcelain, bamboo, and metal, with textures that made them feel comfortable and inviting. Simple yet unique. What I found especially interesting was learning that many of the designs were created by students and then paired with companies through government support in order to actually be produced. I thought this was a really interesting way to connect education and industry (I also thought, why doesn't the US do that too). Instead of a student's design simply being a project that ends after school, there is an opportunity for it to become something that people can actually see and use. This is a wonderful and important opportunity for young designers. 


We also participated in a bamboo weaving workshop. I love a hands-on craft, this one being traditional added a layer of interest as well. I will not lie, it was both an arduous task and a therapeutic experience. I think if I got better at it, I would've enjoyed it more. One of the pieces we saw was a model of Taipei 101 made from bamboo that also functioned as a lamp. 


 After attempting the bamboo weaving myself, I had a much better understanding of how difficult something like this actually is. Creating a small section required patience and precision. Our project wasn't even 3D. Seeing the Taipei 101 model was humbling! But so very cool. It takes so much skill and practice to replicate a building at that scale and complexity. It was a good reminder that when we look at a finished piece, we don't always understand the amount of time and effort that went into creating it. 

To end of this blog, I have a photo of trying out the U-bikes in Taichung. A small taste of the craziness that is Taiwan's traffic and to experience firsthand getting honked at (it was all safe though). I love the buzz of a city. Getting to ride with the NCKU students and some of my classmates as well was truly so much fun and I will definitely be doing it again. Public transportation is convenient and capable of creating silly and fun memories too. 



In my opinion, these last couple days continued to change the way I think about what makes good design. Sustainability is important, but it doesn't have to come at the expense of usability, beauty, cost, or personality. Whether it was a sustainable space at Home Work, a student-designed household object, or a bamboo model of Taipei 101, I kept seeing how much intention can be put into something that may seem simple at first. I think that's something I want to carry into my own work: design shouldn't only solve a problem, it should create something that people actually want to live with. It should be like doodle posters and bamboo cups. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #1

Blog #2