We also went on a boat trip where we got to experience a little bit of the traditional fishing process. There was an old fishing machine that required a bunch of us to work together to pull down a large mechanism that brought up the fishing net.Back again with blog #5. We ended off the last blog with a whole lot of NCKU and free time spent with new friends and the beach. This time, we had several interactive and hands-on activities within the program. On Monday we took bandanas, tied them up, and stuck our hands in buckets of grass-(and compost)-smelling dye. In doing so, splattering the dye here and there.
One of the NCKU students ended up getting some blue spots on the center of their white t-shirt. I've got a fun blue spot on my white shoe to match it. But with her, instead of throwing the shirt out, or even being upset with the stain. She laughed and told us to stain it even more.
So, we happily obliged, starting with handprints, leading into doodles and leaf prints too. What started as an accident turned into something that represented our group! It also aligned with our circular design thinking of our unit. How to keep something within the user's use. Circular design can be about changing the way we think about an object's value. Something doesn't necessarily become useless just because it is no longer serving its original purpose. Sometimes it just needs to be approached differently. In this case, instead of replacing the shirt, we transformed it into something that would want to be kept.
The next day we went on a boat trip where we got to experience a little bit of the traditional fishing process. There was an old fishing machine that required a bunch of us to work together to pull down a large mechanism that brought up the fishing net.
Just recently this summer I was able to try fishing for the first time. I would much rather use this massive contraption to fish than a fishing pole. Pulling with everyone was exciting and see the net bring up fish and other critters was truly a unique experience. I wonder what it would've felt like had the net been full. Being on the boat and watching the varying birds, fish, jellyfish, and other creatures, I hope that the sustainability efforts of the reserve area are successful. It would be a loss if the environment were to head more downhill. It's inspiring that they are working together with several companies and groups to fight it.

This leads into the next photo. Nature and our human-made designs working and evolving together. This is the Anping tree house tour that we walked to on Sunday. The tree grew and overtook the building creating an incredible immersive experience walking throughout the place. Instead of completely removing the building or stopping the tree from growing, the two have essentially become part of the same environment. This tree house, where in contrast to a house built on top of the tree (like my initial view of what a treehouse was), is instead a design that works to preserve the nature and environment, allowing it to flourish.

Changing the topic real fast (like the pace of this program) I also finally learned how to play mahjong! With having built a design project around it in the last unit in Taipei, I felt it was necessary to learn how to play. I think games are an interesting way of experiencing culture because they are something you can participate in regardless of whether you already understand the history behind them. I have been missing out. It was so much fun and a piece of Taiwanese culture I'll be taking home. My mom's old set will get dusted off and picked up.
From bringing a game back home, I experienced a little bit of home here. I made a trip to a climbing gym.
A little bit of quiet time after the (good) craze of this time spent in Taiwan. This was probably one of the most familiar experiences I've had during the program. Since I already enjoy climbing back home, walking into a climbing gym in Taiwan felt surprisingly comfortable. At the same time, it was interesting to see how something that has become a big part of my life can exist in a completely different place and culture. The gym gave me a little piece of home while still being a new experience.
Looking back on this week, I think what stood out to me most was how much I learned simply by participating. Dyeing a shirt, pulling up a fishing net, playing mahjong, exploring a climbing gym, and even stopping to look at a tree taking over a house all gave me a different way of understanding Taiwan.
As the program starts to come to an end, I think those hands-on experiences are going to be some of the things I remember most.
Bouldering in Tainan and learning how to play mahjong were not part of the planned program. But why not? Every experience counts; and each unexpected adventure becomes part of our memories.
ReplyDelete